Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Saturday, July 30, 2011

How to Choose a Super Power, Part 2

Okay, so maybe I do have a super power and maybe it's the ability to leave people on a cliff hanger, making me not so much a super hero as a super villain (insert diabolical laughter here). If you missed last week's column, I was trying to choose which super power I would pick if granted the choice. The buffet table of options was becoming so long and complicated, I was about to throw in the towel and settle for life as we know it. Then I moved away from the buffet and discovered what I believe is the pi├Ęce de r├ęsistance on the dessert table.
     It's this: the power to hear only truth. Think about it.
     Now, I'm not talking about knowing all truth. That would be omniscience and would make me God. There is much that is true that I don't need to know and would only break my heart. It's just as well I don't know how many people use my column to paper train their puppy.
     Likewise, there are things that are true that would simply bore me to sleep. Like what the score was in last night's game or the gas mileage of a Ford Fiesta.
     Here's what I'm talking about. Imagine if every time you heard someone speak, whether aloud or your own thoughts, only what is true would register. Anything false would simply not be heard.
     Imagine the possibilities.
     You're watching TV and an ad for a new vehicle comes on. Instead of receiving the message that owning this vehicle will make you deeply contented and irresistible to the opposite sex, you hear that it will make you deeply in debt and irresistible to auto thieves. Truth.
     You tell yourself "I need a smoke," but your mind hears "I can skip this one and it will be challenging, but I'll be just fine." Truth.
     You're flipping through a fashion magazine. Instead of the gorgeous, air-brushed model no one will ever look like, you see a photo of yourself with the caption, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14). Truth.
     You're on coffee break with co-workers and someone says "that jerk thinks he can waltz in here and demand service as though he's the king and we have to do as he demands." You hear, "that poor man was so mistreated as a child he has no idea how to relate to others with consideration and kindness." Truth.
     Can you imagine the ramifications if such an empowered person were say, a judge? A counselor? A police officer? A medical doctor? A parent? A school teacher?
     I happen to think this would be the best super power of all. No lies penetrating my brain or my heart. It would change my life, and I would have so much more to offer you. It could really set us free, couldn't it? Even more than that hair-growing thing.
     Guess what? Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31 & 32).

1 comment:

  1. Great choice of superpowers. I think I would go for the power to speak only the truth, in love. Speaking only truth is supposed to be a given for a Christian, and I like to think that I have this one nailed - that I don't deliberately set out to deceive anyone, but speaking only the truth only in love is a goal I know that I still fall far short of. This super power would include the ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit and the ability to discern which thought are mine, which ones are nudges planted in my brain by enemy whispers, and which ones are genuine God nudges.

    ReplyDelete