Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Golden Opportunities



Do you remember 2002, when they brought the Golden Boy down from the top of the Manitoba Legislative Building for refurbishing? Citizens were given the chance to see the magnificent statue up close and personal. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 

I missed it.

I didn’t intend to miss it. It seemed like a great thing to do, but somehow other things filled our days and before we knew it, the Boy was back on top of the dome where he will stay until long after I shuffle off this mortal coil. It left me asking, “Why on earth didn’t I go?”

In the screenplay for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Eric Roth wrote, “Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” 

While missing a close-up of the Golden Boy may not define my life, I’m sure you can relate to the sentiment. Technically, every choice we make means an opportunity missed. Perhaps you missed an opportunity to go to university because you started a family instead. Perhaps it was the other way around.

Maybe you said ‘no’ to a job offer or business proposal and have since wondered how your life might have turned out if you’d said ‘yes.’ 

You can’t take every opportunity that comes your way. Saying ‘yes’ to one generally eliminates a host of other, equal opportunities. But too often those choices look like this:

I could take the opportunity to exercise but miss the chance to veg on the couch, growing another layer of fat around my middle.

I could take the opportunity to attend church and receive encouragement for my heart, but miss the opportunity to read the depressing headlines about gang crime waves.

I could take the opportunity to meet a friend for coffee but miss the chance to spend two hours on Facebook, “connecting” with a multitude of friends.

I could take the opportunity to shovel my driveway tonight but miss the chance to arrive late for work in the morning.

You get the picture. When our choices are no-brainers like these, I hope we can engage our brains and not live with regret for chances missed. Life’s too short for that.

And speaking of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I want to invite you to the Local Author Showcase this Saturday, February 22, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Portage la Prairie Regional Library, 40 Royal Road North. The showcase provides a unique chance to meet our local authors, hear their stories, ask questions, maybe even buy a book or win a prize! Refreshments will be provided and everyone is welcome.

As of this writing, confirmed authors include Rusty Rutherford, Bill Shirriff, Alison Lehman, Les Green, Edgar & Suzanne Desjarlais, Sharron Arksey, Stu Phillips, Susan Ostapowich, Ted Meseyton, Linda Ducharme, Tess Achtemichuk, and Moi. Chances are, this exact grouping of people will never occur again (which could be said about most things, but humour me.)

I’ve still got a few copies of some of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books featuring my stories. For this event only, you can take home a signed copy for ten dollars.

Hope you can make it. I’d sure hate to miss the opportunity to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment