Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Breaking My Own Rules



I have a confession to make. After publishing a column a few weeks ago about the importance of local shopping, I confess that I make an exception when it comes to which radio station I listen to most. Why? Because I am a needy person.

It’s not that I never listen to local radio. One of our hometown stations plays at work all day. Another plays in my bedroom as I dress in the mornings so I can hear the weather report and know how many layers of clothing I’ll need.

But I’m too needy for those stations.

Some days I really need courage.
Some days I need comfort.
Some days I need to know I’m not alone.
Some days I need a kick in the butt to do the right thing.
Some days I need mending for my broken heart.
Some days I need to know it will all be worth it.
Some days I need to know there’s a source of all wisdom.
Some days I need to be more compassionate.
Some days I need reminding that I am loved.

Maybe you never need those things, but I do. And songs can be powerful in pointing me in the right or wrong direction. I don’t know about you, but I have not learned how to draw hope from Blake Shelton when he sings “Man, if I have one, I have 13. And they can’t get me off the karaoke machine.” Or Tyler Shaw telling me how wicked I am when I work it out or Simple Plan’s declaration, “You don’t remember my name…but I don’t want to go to bed without you.” Or Dierks Bentley feeling free to tell a young woman whose name he doesn’t even know that she’s driving him wild in her blue jeans.

Good for her. I guess.

Too much of that and frankly, I’m just depressed.

On the other hand, when I hear words like this from FrancescaBattistelli, I’m left feeling like I’ve been touched by deep truth:

“Bring your brokenness, and I’ll bring mine, ‘Cause love can heal what hurt divides.
And mercy’s waiting on the other side — If we’re honest… If we’re honest.”

And wouldn’t you feel more courageous, more loved, to hear the following?
“Your love, in wave after wave crashes over me…for You are for us, You are not against us,
Champion of Heaven, You made a way for all to enter in, You make me brave.  (from Amanda Cook)

Lately, these words from Lauren Daigle’s song Trust in You give me strength to face the day:
“You are my strength and comfort, You are my steady hand, You are my firm foundation; the rock on which I stand. Your ways are always higher, Your plans are always good. There’s not a place where I’ll go, You’ve not already stood.”

And wouldn’t the following words breathe new life into anyone, whether they believe in Jesus or not?
“… you’re bruised and beaten, and you feel defeated…This goes out to the heaviest heart.
Oh, to everyone who’s hit their limit: It’s not over yet, It’s not over yet. And even when you think you’re finished, it’s not over yet. Keep on fighting, out of the dark into the light. It’s not over, hope is rising, never give in, never give up…” (It’s Not Over Yet by For King and Country.)

That’s why if you climb into my car or join me while I’m working around my kitchen, you’ll almost always hear CHVNRadio out of Winnipeg. They play these and so many more life-giving songs.

And I’m just needy like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment