Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Thank God for Potatoes!


Raise your hand if your livelihood depends largely on the humble potato. I see those hands. I’m a day late for Canadian Thanksgiving, but wouldn’t this be a great time to show a little gratitude for this often under-respected staple of nutrition?

One internet article made me laugh. It declared “…a new study looked at potato consumption and found that those who eat fried potatoes as little as two times a week double their risk of death compared to those who pass on the fries.”

Excuse me? How exactly does one double one’s risk of death? Last time I checked, we all have a hundred percent chance of dying. I understand what they’re trying to say. French fries are bad for you, we get it. I also live in a community that counts on the world to continue eating them, so… I say, at least get your phraseology accurate.

Last month, members of our house church were invited to a potato harvesting expedition on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Descending on a small field, we spent an hour picking up and bagging potatoes already lifted from their hiding places beneath the earth. In that hour, I felt myself evolve from an enthusiastic, potato-picking maniac to a whiney sloth with a sore back and a serious yearning for a nap. I came away extremely grateful I don’t have to work like that all day, every day, as do many in our world and in our history.

The work was followed by a fantastic baked potato feast with a multitude of potluck toppings. The grand finale? Taking home a free sack of potatoes to enjoy and to share. I felt especially thankful for the bounty as I imagined all the potato dishes I could create and consume over the coming months. Below you’ll find my favorite way to use leftover mashed potatoes.

Potato Soup
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tsp salt
Dash pepper
1 cup water
1 cup (or more) mashed potatoes
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup grated cheese
Sauté onion in oil. Blend in flour, salt & pepper; add water, boil 2 min. stirring constantly. Add potatoes, milk, cheese. Heat slowly until cheese melts. Garnish with parsley or croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment