Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Rest is for the Weary, not the Dead


If you hear anyone say, “may she rest in peace” when I die, please smack ‘em for me. I’m sick of needing rest! We should say “rest in peace” to the living, because that’s when we spend a third of our time sleeping—and some of us need a lot more. I resent saying “no” to good things because I need to sleep. It’s frustrating. I don’t know what all I will be doing when I reach the other side, but I am convinced it’ll be anything but resting!

This Easter season, I’ve written about how the resurrection of Jesus Christ gives us hope that we can live forever beyond this life. In fact, death is only a beginning. But did you know there’s a way to experience resurrection while you’re still living and breathing down here? Do yourself a favor this Easter and take time to absorb this song: Resurrecting by Elevation Worship. I mentioned this song in an earlier post. It says, “The tomb where soldiers watched in vain was borrowed for three days.” Listen as the crowd bursts into cheers after the next two lines:
“His body there would not remain; Our God has robbed the grave!”

Allow the song to sweep over you and for the truth of it to sink in deep. Do you realize what this means for you? If someone holds the power over death, he holds power over everything. Why wouldn’t anyone throw in their lot with him? The battles may still rage, but the ultimate war has been won!

The song gets even better.
“By Your spirit, I will rise from the ashes of defeat
The resurrected King is resurrecting me.”

He’s resurrecting me a little each day, even while this body of mine deteriorates. Isn’t that crazy? And ultimately, when it’s my turn to shuffle off this mortal coil, I’ll find myself face to face with the one whose death and resurrection we celebrate this weekend.

Meanwhile, we can live fully alive by refusing to be “that person.” The person who forever talks about doing something, but never does. Do it. Visit that lonely neighbor. Sponsor that child. Take those music lessons. Volunteer. Write that book. Sign up for the class. Teach the workshop. Join a team. Donate blood. Extend the invitation. Forgive that wrong. Share your belongings. Mentor a student. Open your wallet on behalf of others.

Pick something, and start today. Make your life count. And at the end of the day, rest in peace until the time comes when you won’t need to rest anymore.

The bottom line on death is that it’s not forever. Jesus Christ made the boldest claim ever when he called himself the resurrection and the life. “The one who believes in me,” he said, “will live, even though they die.” Then he came back to life to give us the only faith whose founder is alive.

Am I wrong? It’s possible. There’s not a Christian on earth who never experiences doubt, and if they tell you they don’t, they are kidding themselves. It’s possible Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead despite what hundreds of eye witnesses claimed. But until someone shows me something better, I’m resting on Jesus.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment