Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Not to Wear to Denver

     I’ve been burning up way too many brain cells on what to wear to the writer’s conference. They even have a dress code – business attire, no jeans. When I told a friend this, the response was, “Really? A bunch of writers? You’d think they’d all be in their pajamas!”
     You would think so. But it’s a pretty swanky hotel, so I suspect we’d all get the boot.
     Anyway, so I’m thinking through my closet and I'm mixing and matching and butting and what-iffing. If you don’t know what butting is in this context, it goes like this:
“…but if I wear THAT, then I need these shoes…”
“…but if I take those shoes, my bag will be too full…”
“…but if I take those pants, that top won’t work…” and so on.
     And the what-iffing goes like this:
     “What if it’s hot? What if it’s cold? What if I spill something on myself? What if I’m under/over-dressed?”
     Blah-de-blah blah blah. You girls know how it goes. It’s not that I don’t have options. Too many options is probably the real problem. I mean seriously, I could wear the same gray pants and black sweater with a different colored scarf each day and who would notice? (I mean, apart from the smell.)
     It’s still on my mind when I pick up my Bible and read this from Colossians 3 in The Message:
"So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline...and regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Oh.
Alrighty then.
Best start packin'.

1 comment:

  1. good lesson for all of us.... I think you could pull that all off! enjoy your time in Denver Terrie, we'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete