Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hobbes and Winnie and Calvin and Pooh...

      I love the Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin's dad convinces him it wasn't that they didn't have colour film when he was a kid--it was that the whole world was in black and white because colour had not yet been invented.
      This time of year, the world apparently takes a break from colour and reverts back to the days of black and white. At least my corner of the world. Everywhere you look, there's nothing but shades of gray, from the almost-white gray of the sky to the almost-black gray of the filthy snow heaps along the side of the streets. Even the vehicles, regardless what colour they may have started out, are completely camouflaged to blend into the gray environment. If you look really hard, you might be able to spot something closer to brownish-beige in places, but by then your eyeballs are strained from the effort.
      Which is why I was especially pleased to receive these gorgeous spring flowers from my hubby yesterday - aren't they pretty? The occasion was my two-year anniversary at my "new" job. Guess Jon knew City Hall would not be presenting me with flowers or any other trophies for having achieved this monumental milestone, so he took matters into his own hand. I love them!
     Bright, springy colours bring hope and life and beauty to the tail end of March, and a promise that a new season is just around the corner. Which brings to mind another comic, the one where Piglet is about to drown and Winnie the Pooh encourages him to "Be brave, Piglet. A rescue is being thought of!"
      Be brave. The Creator of the earth's orbits has thought of a rescue and it's on its way.

5 comments:

  1. I especially like how you say "...he took matters into his own hand"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The flowers are gorgeous! My hat's off to your husband for adding colour to your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks Linda! Considering how seldom I see Hutterite women with their "hats off," that is very special indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I've seen this recently with my own kids, I think I actually recall it better from that audio tape when I was little.

    What I'm recalling, is that it is actually Owl who says the line, and that he says "little Piglet".

    Maybe I'm just being annoying by pointing that out. I just found it interesting that I recall it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you're probably right. And annoying. I did think of you when I remembered both cartoons, though.

    ReplyDelete