Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, May 3, 2012

May the Fourth be with you...



     Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away…
     All right, fine. It was this galaxy and it was May 29, 1977. My high school graduation. I was far too preoccupied with important things like my Farrah Fawcett hairdo to concern myself with an insignificant science fiction fantasy with the unlikely name of Star Wars premiering the same week. By the time I actually saw the first Star Wars movie, I was an old married woman of 22 and expecting my first baby. I fell asleep.
     Fast forward to 1998. My husband was turning 40 and all the buzz was about the upcoming Star Wars “prequels.” I borrowed all three of the original movies on VHS and invited two other families over for a surprise movie marathon.  Starting around 3:00 pm, we watched Star Wars. Then we broke for supper. Next came The Empire Strikes Back. This was followed by birthday cake, ice cream, and presents. Finally, we watched Return of the Jedi, ending around 1:00 in the morning. The guests went home. I stumbled off to bed and have been pretty much Star Warred out ever since.
     Although I still think Harrison Ford is kind of cute.
     May fourth is dubbed “Star Wars Day” because of the infamous blessing, “May The Force be with you.” Fans around the world celebrate with Princess Leia earmuffs and light sabre fights.
     So, what exactly is “The Force?”
     According to Wikipedia, The Force is “a binding, metaphysical, and ubiquitous power in the fictional universe of the Star Wars galaxy created by George Lucas.”
     According to Obi-Wan Kenobi, one of the wise characters in the story, “The Force surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”
     Roman Kroitor, a cinematographer who went on to develop IMAX, said,  “Many people feel that in the contemplation of nature and in communication with other living things, they become aware of some kind of force, or something, behind this apparent mask which we see in front of us, and they call it God.”
     When asked if this was the source of The Force, Lucas said, “Similar phrases have been used extensively by many different people for the last 13,000 years to describe the ‘life force.’”
      Lucas is right. The book of Romans tells us God put within people a basic awareness of Himself and of the requirement to do right.
      Sometimes I think it would be handy if God were a “force” instead of a person. A force can be harnessed and wielded. God, on the other hand, is wild. He provokes more questions than answers. He may or may not grant my requests. He has a mind of his own.
     A force makes few demands. God wants it all: my allegiance, my obedience, my love.
     Then again, I know at least three reasons to celebrate God’s person-hood. First, The Force’s power was accessible to only a select few. God says, “Come to me, all who are weary….” (Matthew 11:28)
     Second, The Force did not create anybody. God says you and I are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” (Psalm 139:14)
     Third, The Force will never promise you this:  “No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:39)
     Enjoy the movies. And may the Lord be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment