Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Cleaning Lady - Part 1 of a 2-Part Series for Labor Day


I stumbled into it. A friend’s mother needed someone to clean her house weekly and I was willing if I could bring my two children along. A third child was on the way, but we’d figure that out later. As long as I worked while Big Bird and Mr. Dressup entertained my kids, it was a great arrangement and a little extra income. But when the lady of the house came home one day to see how huge I’d grown and observed me lumbering around her house, she insisted it was time for mat leave.

A few months after the baby came, I returned with all three kids in tow and somehow, we made it work. By the time the older two went off to school, word of mouth had worked its magic. I began taking on more cleaning jobs and by the time the youngest started school, it was my career. I cleaned up to eight houses a week plus a couple of offices on the weekends. It allowed me to finish my workday in time to pick up our kids from school and stay home with them during school breaks, and for that I felt grateful. I spent the next ten years scrubbing floors and bathrooms. I once calculated that I cleaned 600 toilets a year, counting our own.

My vacuum tracks never looked this perfect.
Many clients came and went from my roster during those years, but I found they tended to fall into one of two camps: housekeeping-challenged families who expressed deep gratitude for anything I could do to lessen their chaos; and working empty-nesters with more money than time. I knew this because sometimes when I arrived, I could still see my vacuum tracks from two weeks before in an unused room!

The best part of this job was imagining my clients coming home from work to a clean house after a tiring work day. The worst part was returning home exhausted to my own dirty one. My body began wearing out.

Though I gave myself pep talks about doing honorable work with nothing to feel ashamed of, I feared cleaning was all I would ever be able to do. While I’d been sweeping and dusting, the world around me had become not only computer-literate but computer-dependent. I prayed about it a lot. Even though I did not regret this choice because it allowed me to be there for my kids, I felt trapped. 

One day while en route from my morning client’s house to my afternoon client’s, I stopped for a red light at Saskatchewan Avenue and Royal Road. I was devouring a sandwich in my car, already tired and feeling ugly and sweaty in my worn jeans and tee-shirt. And perhaps a bit lonely. As I waited for the light to turn green, four nicely dressed women emerged from City Hall and crossed the street together—city staff going out for lunch, I imagined. I watched them with a little envy.

I think I’d like to work there some day, and NOT as the janitor. The thought came even though I felt certain it would never come to pass. The office world where I’d once fit now felt out of reach and I had neither time nor money to go back to school. God would have to surprise me if he was going to pull me out of my cleaning lady attire and, more importantly, my cleaning lady mindset. 

I’ll tell you that story next week. 

(Meanwhile…if you’re blessed to have a good cleaning person, please treat them with kindness, dignity, and generosity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment