Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Not a Fan


This weekend will mark the official start of fall—the favorite season for a lot of folks. You know the type. They live for sweaters and cozy firesides and curling up with some kind of pumpkin spice hot beverage. It’s not that I mind those things, but really—who gets to do that sort of stuff? For me, fall means a sad end to my favorite season and an increasing dread of my least favorite looming on the horizon. Sure, the fall colors look pretty, but when those leaves fall and the trees stand bare and bereft…well, it’s just plain sad. I find the honking of the geese a forlorn and haunting sound. I mourn the surrender of my sandals, shorts, and cute summer tops. It’s too cold in the house but I’m too stubborn to turn on the furnace this early. And when I’m cold, I’m grumpy. Hubby says I have a three-degree tolerance threshold, but he is wrong. It’s much closer to three and a half degrees.

On the up side…
Having said all of that, what I’m enjoying most about this particular fall as a retiree is the privilege of staying home. I suspect that will become even sweeter with the next season. When my writing hours are accomplished, I enjoy creating a simmering pot of soup on the stovetop or pulling something fragrant from the oven—which in turn, helps heat the house! I look forward to the end of yard work and garden care. I’ve begun a new crochet project to justify time wasted on TV, and I’ll be pulling out a little fall décor to brighten the atmosphere as well. Perhaps a scented candle will lift my grumpies too. Lauren DeStefano said “Fall is the time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.” I shall try to embrace it.

Back to routine
We humans need our routines, don’t we? My husband is back at his teaching job, giving our mornings a more defined schedule. My outside involvements with Toastmasters and the Prairie Players are in full swing again. Speaking of our local community theater group, watch for posters for the fall production November 20-23. This year is the group’s fiftieth birthday and we’re celebrating by bringing the equally aged production of
I do love the trees in my neighborhood
Mary Poppins to the stage! Mark your calendar now and watch for more info.

Safety rant
It’s time for my annual rant about farm safety. I realize harvest time is nearing its end for 2019, but sometimes it’s in those last few days when workers are most vulnerable. If you’ve enjoyed a safe harvest so far, it’s easy to become complacent. Everyone knows what they’re doing. Tasks can be completed automatically while you’re thinking of other things. You’re exhausted from long hours and little sleep. It’s tempting to skip important steps. Now is the time to be more diligent than ever. Don’t allow one careless moment to result in an anniversary you’d rather not have to remember for the rest of your life.

A promise
“Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful.” (Joel 2:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment