Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Friday, July 15, 2022

Stained

Though our little deck right off the kitchen is convenient for preparing meals on the barbecue, I have frequently wished it held more people. Four is pretty much its limit if you want everyone comfortable.

I harbored no such desires, however, when I decided this was the summer to stain the thing. In our nine years here, I’d never performed this feat, only dreaded it. Fear of difficulty and of doing a bad job made me postpone it far too long. But the deck wasn’t getting any younger, and neither was I.

I watched a few how-to videos on YouTube and received conflicting advice. Oil-based is best. Water-based is best. No need to sand. You must sand. Use a roller. Use a brush. The only thing these videos had in common? The people presenting them were all men. Deck-staining lands nowhere near the top of my man’s priority list. He did, however, remove the barbecue so I could proceed.

To start, I borrowed a pressure washer and hosed down the deck, gouging the wood in only a few places. No matter. I’d already decided this job would not be perfect, only an improvement. I came home from our local paint store with a gallon of latex stain, a sheet of sandpaper, and some advice.

Then I waited a week or two for the weather to cooperate.

I am now convinced God may have given me the one perfect weekend we’ll see all summer, June 4 and 5. Perfect temperatures. Zero mosquitoes. No humidity. Glorious sunshine and a gentle breeze. My favorite music wafting through the screen door from inside.

After sanding the worst spots, I vacuumed the surface. Then I stirred the stain and began brushing it onto all the spindles and trim. Expecting the big job to prove unbearably tedious, I was surprised to realize I was enjoying myself. Time-wise, I could have completed the entire job that day. Energy-wise, I knew I’d better hold off or I’d become extra careless.

The next day dawned beautiful again. After church and a nap, I went out and completed the deck floor in about ninety minutes. The next day I touched up a few spots. By mid-week, the furnishings were returned to their places. Our beautiful, imperfect deck stood ready for me to put up my feet and read a good book. I’d spent less than a hundred dollars.

Almost immediately, heat and humidity emerged along with mosquitoes, tree fluff, and flying seeds. I cannot describe how thankful I felt for that brief window, confirming the sign on my fridge that says, “Procrastination is the arrogant assumption that God owes you another opportunity to do what you had time to do.”

Naturally, I can’t tackle something so challenging without learning and sharing some life lessons, so here are three from my deck-staining journey.

1. Sometimes you just need to jump in and start, because the need for perfection will paralyze you. I didn’t do a perfect job, but I made a huge improvement. I posted before-and-after photos on social media and lapped up friends’ praise. Those who may have spotted my goofs kindly kept quiet. Or lied.

2. Small can be best. If we owned the huge deck I frequently hanker for, the staining job would have cost far more money, time, and energy. I could never have completed it within the sweet window I was given.

3. When God adds his blessing, a difficult job becomes a joy. I have no control over the weather, but I know the gorgeous weather made all the difference that weekend. May I never lose the wonder of such an unexpected, undeserved gift. 

BEFORE
AFTER


 

No comments:

Post a Comment