Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Friday, August 19, 2022

Free Summer Shenanigans

Scrolling through social media can quickly convince me that despite the high prices of fuel and everything else, everyone except me is enjoying a wonderful vacation. Everybody we know is taking in scenic new sights, camping at a lovely beach, or relaxing at the cabin while hubby and I stay in little old Portage la Prairie, working away.

I know that’s not true. But maybe you’ve felt like you’re the only one who’s not getting to do all the fun stuff. I thought I’d share some things I’ve enjoyed this summer right here at home—or mostly at home.

Have you checked out the duck pond at Island Park recently? Wow! With its three fountains, a waterfall on one end, and the platform bridge on the other, this creation is an absolute piece of heaven on earth. I’ve taken to sitting on a bench and simply staring. The beauty of the flowers and the trickling of the water soothe my soul and mind. Kudos to our local Rotary Club, the City of Portage, Norquay Nurseries, and anyone else who’s had a hand in making this little miracle happen. Well done!

Our ten-year-old grandson slept over recently. Since it was an unplanned stay, he wasn’t equipped for swimming. But sometimes grandmas have to spoil a bit, right? We walked to Red Apple and bought him some new trunks, swung around to Mike’s Grocery for ice cream cones on our way back, and then checked out the splash pad at Simplot Park. What a delightful way to cool off on a hot summer day! Again, many thanks to our city’s Parks Committee, Simplot, and all the volunteers who worked so hard to create this terrific play space for our community.

This one wasn’t “free,” but Hubby and I took our son and his family to see Manitoba’s Passion Play at LaRiviere. The production celebrated its twenty-first year this summer, although I don’t know if that includes the pandemic years or not. We hadn’t gone in ages, so the live orchestra was new to us and a brilliant addition. The wonderful production in their gorgeous outdoor setting held the boys’ attention surprisingly well. We enjoyed perfect weather and no mosquitoes with an exciting drive home through a wild thunderstorm. Glad I wasn’t driving! It’s too late to take in the event this year, but I highly recommend it for next time. You can find information on dates and prices on their website, www.passionplay.ca or follow them on Facebook or Instagram.

I also ventured out for some wild sasktoon-picking one Saturdaymorning. Doused in bug repellent, I wasn’t bothered by mosquitoes but found the berries quite sparse. While in the bush, I was startled by the sudden crashing of a large animal taking off from its nearby hiding place. Although I didn’t actually see it, I sure hope it was a deer. Not sure what I’d have done if I’d found myself face to face with a bear. Throw berries in its face? Whatever it was, the ruckus flushed up some really pretty birds, so there’s that. All in all, the hour or two provided all the communion with nature I need until next year. I ended up with enough berries for two dozen muffins plus two servings with ice cream.

If all that’s not enough, I’m happy to sit on my deck with my nose in a good book and a cool drink within reach.

How about you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment