Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Friday, July 12, 2024

Old Dog, New Tricks - Part 1: The Weed Eater

 

I can only wish this gorgeous, nicely-trimmed yard was ours.

I’ve learned at least three new useful tricks since turning 65 last February, all of which would have made life easier had I known them decades ago. I thought I’d share them with you one week at a time so you aren’t overwhelmed by my wealth of amazing new information.

When our kids still lived with us, they did most of the grass mowing. I followed with the “whipper snipper,” trimming around trees, fences, and edges. When the last of our offspring left home, Hubby took over the mowing but we found ourselves frequently at odds about how often the grass needed cutting. While I prefer it nice and short, he liked to see our lawn producing amber waves of grain before deeming it worthy of his time and effort. Still, I refused to start the mower myself and stubbornly left the knee-high grass waiting for Hubby’s attention no matter how much it bugged or embarrassed me. Once he finally mowed, I’d follow with my not-so-faithful weed eater.

When I retired from my day job, I offered to take over the mowing since I’d have more time. Knowing me as he does, Hubby asked, “Won’t you start resenting me after a while?”

“Yes, probably,” I said. “But I do that anyway. At least this way, the grass will get cut when I want it cut.”

Hey, I may be horrible but at least I’m honest.

Through all these evolutions, the trimming task remained mine. I don’t know why. Maybe I was the only one who cared enough. I never really minded… except when our trimmer misbehaved.

It misbehaved a lot. The line would break off right at the hole, forcing me to unplug the trimmer, pry it apart, rewind the line, reassemble the entire contraption, and plug it back in. Sometimes four or five times in a half-hour session, and always aggravating. I wanted a new trimmer but it refused to die.

I noticed the problem grew worse as the line aged. I’d end up throwing away the stiff, unused line and buying a new spool just to minimize frustration. I wondered why on earth it didn’t come on smaller spools. Why buy more than you can use in one season if it’s only going to work for one season?

When I mentioned my frustration to Hubby, I suggested we start storing the line in the house over the winter so it wasn’t exposed to freezing temperatures in the shed.

“Or,” he said, “You could keep it submerged in water. Nylon dries out and gets brittle after it’s exposed to air.”

Seriously? Now you tell me?

I filled a gallon pail half full of water and placed last year’s spool of brittle line in the water, weighing it down so it remained immersed. Next time I needed to use the trimmer, I threaded it afresh with the soaked line, now soft and supple. Worked like a charm. Our thirty-year-old trimmer functioned exactly as intended and didn’t stop on me even once. Unbelievable.

I sure wish I’d learned this trick years ago.

Next week, I’ll tell you about my new trick for covering old throw pillows.

“But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive and green today and tomorrow is cut and thrown as fuel into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you?” Matthew 6:30 (Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment