Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, April 14, 2011

When will YOU quit?

1.  Be still my heart. I got a writing cheque in the mail today for $2.50. It's in US funds, so currently worth about $2.25 Canadian. I'm extremely tempted to spend it all in one place but I shall restrain myself.

2.  Got another email from the "Partner" publisher who is so very eager to publish my novel. I wrote back, and had a reply in minutes. It's amazing how quickly they respond and then leave you alone when you simply tell them you have no money.

And finally... the following quote is from Terry Burns, a cowboy author and literary agent who is currently facilitating my online course through American Christian Fiction Writers. Shared with permission because I really like it:

I had a person come up to me at the conference and say they just couldn’t find the time to write, should they quit trying?

I said if you can quit writing you should.

I got a really shocked look in return. I said, “Look, this is hard, it takes dedication and commitment and a truckload of patience. Anybody who CAN quit writing should do so. That time could be so much better spent. The problem is that most of us can’t quit, even when  we try to do so, for a variety of reasons. But as to your finding the time to write, it doesn’t exist and probably never will. I hear all kind of qualifiers, like when I retire, or when the kids leave home, when . . . when . . . when. There is an old saying that work expands to fill the time available and it is true. Our time will always be filled. The young mother with kids hanging on her shirt tail or the retired person who was surprised to find themselves busier than they ever were when they were working, anyone who wants to write has to carve out the time and jealously protect it and use it."

It will never just exist.

2 comments:

  1. How true! Writing is like anything else, when you love it, you simply find time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! I say whatever your passion is is what you will "find time" for. Like my crocheting, that I take everywhere I go so that if I find myself unoccupied for a minute or two I can maybe get a few stitches in. I am a wannabe when it comes to playing the guitar. Once every couple of years I dust it off, and lament that I have never had time to practice. Then Kalene's new guy comes along and he would have to have his guitar surgically removed to stop him from picking it up whenever he can get away with it.
    I guess you can tell which ones are the addicted writers when they write novels in your comment section.

    ReplyDelete