Prov 17:22

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... - Proverbs 17:22

Friday, July 28, 2023

The 'Drama Grammas' Take the Stage

Maybe I should have said no.

The thought plagued me for four months. But in mid-March, when invited to teach a children’s drama class at my church’s Kids Camp in July, I had no reason to say no. The class would run for only one hour a day for five days. Only students who chose that class would attend, so in theory they’d be enthusiastic participants. I had no other plans for my summer. I really did want to help out my church. As a kid, I’d have killed for a similar opportunity. Plus, I’d get a T-shirt out of the deal.

I said yes and recruited two brilliant, retired teachers to help me, Vicki and Brenda. Together, we’d form the dream team known as “The Drama Grammas.” We started to plan.

Then I found out our Alberta kids would be arriving the week after camp.

Then I decided to self-publish a book this fall, and my heaviest editing week ended up landing the same week as camp.

Then I signed a contract for two more books, one of which still needs to be written.

Then I wrecked my car.

Then my garden took off.

Then we had a death in the family.

So many reasons to back away from the Drama Grammas. But it was too late. I’d committed.

Full disclosure: I do theatre. Not so great with kids. I figured I could call on my acting skills to play the role for short bursts, and I did. My smartest move was enlisting Brenda and Vicki. What a joy to see them come to life, doing what comes automatically after years of experience. They knew tricks to command kids’ attention and instinctively understood what worked for various ages.

Here’s the thing. I may not have had the privilege of taking theatre classes as a kid, but I was entrusted with a drama ministry at age 30. In the years since, I’ve learned and grown in those skills but how much more might I have accomplished had I begun earlier? How can I not pass on what God, in his grace, has allowed me to learn and use? What might those youngsters give the world, what might they in turn pass along, in far greater abundance?

To my surprise, my biggest personal blessing came not during our drama class, but during the singing time, when I stood at the back of the room and joined in with these young worshippers. The sound of children singing cannot be reproduced synthetically no matter how hard we try. The farther along life’s road I get, the more I begin to understand why that particular sound blesses God’s heart so deeply. It’s beautiful, powerful, and precious beyond words.

I’m not sorry I did this. Teaching tests us. Giving grows us. Sharing stretches us.

What about you? What special skills or talents have you been given? What opportunities have you received to develop your abilities? Are you sitting on them or using them? Who is benefiting? Who needs you to pass your knowledge along?

After being struck by a car and having to fight for his life and health, Author Stephen King said, “No matter how large your bank account, no matter how many credit cards you have, sooner or later things will begin to go wrong with the only three things you have that you can really call your own: your body, your spirit, and your mind. So I want you to consider making your life one long gift to others. And why not? All you have is on loan, anyway. All that lasts is what you pass on.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment